Carpets are the most luxurious piece of fabric we ever purchased for ourselves. Do they not only decorate our house but also make us feel cosy. To keep it clean and feel new until the very end, we need to clean it daily. Unusually a vacuum cleaner does the work. However, it can be havoc when it gets some permanent stains and can be extremely difficult to remove. It can be anywhere on carpets and mats used in household carpets, school, and office, business and automobile.
Here is a common situation.
You are smiling seeing your little one colouring his book.
You just go out for something. Comes back and what… he has started colouring the whole carpet.
Removing marker stains from the carpet can be super challenging especially that of permanent marker stains.
Believe me; you need to try almost every technique to get the marker stain out of the carpet.
Here we will give some practical techniques to remove these stubborn marker stains out of the carpet.
The Hair Spray Method
The hair spray method is a super useful, most recommended and first-line strategy to be used on dried up marker stains to remove them completely.
To remove the marker stain using hair spray method all you need is
- You need to pour a generous amount of hair spray on the marker stain to completely drench it in it.
- Make sure the hair spray is oil-free for it to work in the best way. Oil-based hair sprays will worsen the situation. Moreover, it will also create another stain for you.
- Now place the paper towel onto the wet stain.
- Gently blot the stain right after a minute.
- While removing the stain confine your motion and hair spray in the area having spot or you will end up spreading it even in a larger area; creating another mess for you
- See if you can remove the stain completely in one go.
- In the other situation, repeat the process, keep your motions steady and gentle.
- You will ultimately remove it completely.
- Blow-dry the area, in the end, to avoid any mess and restore the carpet in original condition.
Traditionally we employ alcohol to remove market stains from the carpet. It is the most used method and effective in ninety per cent of the cases.
To remove the stain using alcohol all you need is
Drinking Alcohol in excess
Rubbing Alcohol in excess
You can take either.
Pour the drinking alcohol/rubbing alcohol over the marker stain
Ensure to use it generously to drench the area completely into it.
Now place the paper towel over the stain.
Let it soak the stain for thirty to forty-five minutes
Remove the paper towel and use the other paper towel to blot away the rest of the stain.
Blow-dry the area; it is all new now
Vinegar Baking Soda Method
Vinegar and baking soda had been used for centuries to remove stains out of every type of fabric and material It effectively dissolves the colour marker taking it out of the carpet.
Baking Soda-Three tablespoon.
- Drench the stain into the vinegar and place a paper towel over it.
- Put baking soda over the stain.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Now, remove the baking soda using the vacuum cleaner.
- Blot away the stain.
- Do ensure to limit the movements in the restricted area to avoid any further mess.
- Do not forget to blow dry the area after removing the stain completely.
Hydrogen Peroxide Method
Hydrogen peroxide is used to remove stubborn stains. However, it is known to remove the colours of the fabric. So, if you are not sure about the colour quality of your carpet do not use it.
Hydrogen Peroxide-A tablespoon
Cream of Tartar– three to four tablespoon
Paper towelBlow dryer
- Pour a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the stain
- Now, place three tablespoons of cream of tartar on it.
- Leave it for fifteen to thirty minutes.
- Remove the dry portion with the vacuum cleaner.
- Please make sure the carpet is white or any colour near to it. You should not preferably use this method on the coloured carpets.
Detergent And Toothpaste Method
Recent studies have shown that toothpaste is an effective cleansing agent. You can use a combination of toothpaste and detergent to remove stubborn marker stain.
Liquid Detergents/soap-2-3 Tablespoon
- Mix a tablespoon of toothpaste in 2 tablespoons of dish soap.
- Now apply generously on the marker stain on your carpet.’
- Place a paper towel on it.
- Leave for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the paper towel.
- Take a new paper towel and remove maximum material you can get out of it.
- Take a dampen the cotton cloth and try to remove any of the toothpaste and dish soap left.
- Look if any stain left on the carpet.
- Repeat the process if required.
Nail Paint Remover Method
We all have nail paint remover in our drawer. This product can successfully remove the marker stain from your carpet.
Nail Paint Remover
- Drench the part of carpet having a marker stain on it.
- Place a paper towel on it.
- Remove any excess material and blow-dry.
Store-Bought Marker Stain Removers
You can also use a ready to use stain remover for carpets. Before buying make sure, it works for inks.
Some of the stain removers that work for marker stain are given as:
Spot Shot Professional Instant Carpet Stain Remover with Trigger Spray
Spot Shot Instant Carpet Stain Remover is the product to remove the toughest stains of ink not only in the home but also in hotel, office, schools etc. It can also remove other stubborn stains like that of coffee, shoe polish, paint, blood, cola, grease and many others that need immediate attention.
|It removes both oil-based and water-based stains||It can affect colours. So, do not forget to test an insignificant area|
|It works well for marker ink stains||It takes some rubbing to remove the stain.|
|Interior decorator’s choice||It has a strong smell|
|4.5 out of 5 stars in Amazon reviews|
You can Buy It On Amazon for $55.99.
Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover
It is a super-effective spot remover which targets stubborn stains including that of the marker, blood, wine, and coffee. It removes most of the stains on the carpet changing your carpet into a new one.
|It is safe to use||You need to soak the stain and place a paper towel over it.|
|Odour free||Need some rubbing and work to remove the stain|
|It is non-magnetic so, the stains will not return|
|It is non-toxic and non-flammable.|
|4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon reviews|
You can Buy It On Amazon for $21.91.
Hoover Oxy Spot And Stain Remover
It is an instant stain remover to remove ink stains and any coloured stains from the carpet. The manufacturer advice to pair it up with Hoover carpet cleaner for better action and results.
|Exceptional fighting power against toughest stains including marker stains||Need a bit of scrubbing tor remove the stain completely.|
|Safe for coloured carpets|
|4.6 out of 5 stars based on customer reviews on Amazon|
You can Buy It On Amazon for $7.99.
Tips And Tricks
- Try to blot away the marker stain when it is fresh.
- There is some amazing trick. Try rubbing the same marker over the old marker stain. Now wipe it out quickly with a paper towel. This technique will surely lighten the stain on the carpet.
- The practically proven agents to remove marker stains include (Using oil-free hair spray,Drinking alcohol,Rubbing alcohol,Hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar,Vinegar and baking soda,Nail paint remover)
- You can also purchase marker stain removers from your nearest utility store and can also order on Amazon. Ensure the particular stain remover works well with marker stains.
- Always be careful while removing the stain. Limit your motions while rubbing away the stain and drenching the area with your favourite agent. It will not only increase the mess but also increase the chance of spreading the stain to the extent that it gets deep into the fibres so, so cannot remove it then.
- The marker stains not only make your carpet look old and rough but also decrease its price in the market if you intend to sale it. So, try to remove them as soon as you observe them.
- Stay calm; do not worsen the stain.
- If you cannot remove it using the single technique o[t for multiple techniques all at once. For example, you can use hair spray and alcohol technique together. Moreover, the vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide also work well when combined.
- Do not forget to test in a non-significant small area when you are trying to remove stain from the coloured carpet.
“What it’s like to be a parent: It’s one of the hardest things you’ll ever do but in exchange, it teaches you the meaning of unconditional love.”
I have been living in Texas with my husband and three kids. Raising kids is never easy and I too encountered a lot of difficulties. To manage all this, I worked into a lot of solutions and discovered the best possible!
Now, after years of experience, I am an expert mom who has worked on most of the things any parent can encounter in his life.
With my expertise, I embarked on a journey to help all the other moms out there in their perfect child rising. I am here to help you select the best for your little one and give the solution to all the problems you encounter in your daily life.
My words are not a mere combination of letters. These are the voice of my years of experience… all gained with the help of other experts and my self-exploring nature.
Let’s help each other in raising our children with the best.